Old December 8th 04, 06:11 PM
J999w

Personally, I find anything more fun than 2m fm, but that's just me.

I say go for it.

Just about time you're ready to throw the thing in the garbage because there
aren't many stations on right now, BANG!, you'll talk to someone in California
that's breaking your speaker ... then someone in Columbia, South America. Then
there will be a contest, and it will blow your mind just how many stations you
can work.
That's fun !

Start off with a CB antenna, or wire dipole and keep checking the band. We're
at the bottom of the solar cycle, so there aren't many stations on, but there
are some. As the sunspots increase, more and more stations can be worked and by
then you'll have the knack of it and you'll be hooked. I recall when I first
got on 10m, I had a Drake C line running 100w and a used 4 element beam up on
the roof of the house turned with an old TV antenna rotator pulled from the
trash.. I had the radio at the foot of my bed, and I remember sitting on the
end of my bed, talking to a TON of Japanese stations that were so loud, I
could hear the dog barking in the background, or their doorbell ringing.

That hooked me!

Go for it.

jw
k9rzz