Old July 11th 03, 07:43 PM
Jim Kelley

W5DXP wrote:

Jim Kelley wrote:
The waves themselves are indeed identical, i.e. you can't measure a
difference between them on a transmission line. But one might indeed be
transferring energy while the other is not.

How can two waves that are identical possibly be doing different things.
It doesn't make any sense at all. Waves cannot exist without intrinsic
energy!!! If any wave is destroyed, it gives up its energy. There is
simply no other place for the energy to go.

Here's a quote from Born and Wolfe, pg. 48, talking about waves
encountering the interface between dense and less dense media:

"Although there is a field in the second medium, it is easy to see that
no energy flows across the boundary. More precisely it will be shown
that, although the components of the Poynting vector in the direction
normal to the boundary is in general finite, its time average vanishes;
this implies that the energy flows to and fro, but that there is no
lasting flow into the second medium."

Please reference the cross-posting from sci.physics.electromag. Somebody
predicted that those guys would tear me apart. On the contrary, they
tend to agree with me.

I tended to agree with what you said there too. You can be very
agreeable when you want to be. :-)

I notice you didn't mention anything about photons dematerializing and
rematerializing over there. Give that one a try. :-)

Those reflected waves not only destructively interfere, they are
destroyed so they MUST give up any intrinsic energy in the waves.
Nothing else is possible.

If you mean they give up their energy to the two waves traveling in the
other direction, then I agree.

Can I have a hit
off whatever you are smokin'? :-)

I've got a pack of Camel lights out in the car. You can have 'em.

That would only be true if
energy were indeed traveling in the reverse direction to begin with.
When we realize it's not, there's nothing left to account for Cecil.

If reflected energy from a mismatched load is not traveling in the
reverse direction, pray tell what direction is it traveling in?

P2 is energy that had been traveling in the reflected direction and was
re-reflected. That's it. Good thing too, because any more than P2 and
P1 and you'd have a perpetual motion machine! :-)

can see you haven't referenced the reflected power flow vector.

I've seen you reference it, but I have seen you define one - or write it
out mathematically.

There's no conservation of energy problem to solve.

There certainly is in your scenario. The reflected energy doesn't ever
change directions but it somehow joins the forward wave anyway. Can
you spell B-A-F-F-L-E-G-A-B?

You wrote the bafflegab - whatever that is. I certainly never said
reflected energy joins the forward energy. That's your invention.

73, ac6xg