Old October 23rd 19, 01:35 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
N9NEO[_2_] N9NEO[_2_] is offline

Default 428kHz airport beacon.

I work for a small company that builds tracking devices. One of the devices operates at 430kHz It is a TRF receiver so its tuned to one frequency. I would like to retune to 428kHz and try and get the 25W beacon at Pocahantas in Iowa. I am in New Hampshire so a little bit of a trek.

I have a 3' AM loop that I can hook front end to. I can build a bigger loop no problem up to about 8'x 8'

I would like to hear your comments concerning the probability of success with smaller loop, and any other input you may have on antennas and best propagation times and so forth. I am also interested in hearing if others have DX the beacons with any luck.

Thanks,
Bob
N9NEO