Old December 21st 04, 06:19 PM
J999w

I am a newbie setting up a shack upstairs. Dont have alot of room. I
was wondering is it a good idea to set up you requipment near a
computer or not. Seems like most shack pictures I see have their
computer on the same table. WHy is this? I have a computer upstairs but
my wife will use it alot for school and it is on a small table.

Having the computer next to your radio is beneficial in many ways. You can use
it to keep track of which stations you've heard, to record what you're hearing,
as an active audio filter, to decode morse code or digital communications, as a
bountiful resource to determine what you're tuned in to, or to post what you're
hearing on message boards to alert others so they may tune in what you hear.

You may experience some interference from your computer, or you may not, but
that's a whole new subject!

It's up to you. People have tuned the shortwaves for almost 100 years without
computers so it certainly isn't necessary, just a nice tool to have handy.

73,

jw
k9rzz