Old June 26th 03, 01:51 AM
Daniel Martin

If you operate a radio under the rules
that apply to GMRS, you must have a GMRS license

If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, you better get a duck license.

"thomas" wrote in message
Thank you!

I read the official FCC text carefully. But I'm now even more confused:

"If you operate a radio that has been approved exclusively under the rules
that apply to FRS, you are not required to have a license. FRS radios have

maximum power of ? watt (500 milliwatt) effective radiated power and
integral (non-detachable) antennas. If you operate a radio under the rules
that apply to GMRS, you must have a GMRS license. GMRS radios generally
transmit at higher power levels (1 to 5 watts is typical) and may have
detachable antennas."

If my radio has been approved under both FRS and GMRS, the text above
**seems** to suggest that I may need a license. Can you or someone
clarifies for me?

The only reason I don't want to use GMRS is the license fee. The radio is
very cheap even with GMRS support.

Thomas

"AMHAM73" wrote in message
The FCC page at URL:
http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/personal/family/
Will answer your questions
Better to get it from the Horse's mouth rather than any guesses you may
receive.

Although you "actually have no plan to use the GMRS channels at all".

Why
not get the license and make full use of your radio ??? Comes the day

you
may want or need it.

"thomas" wrote in message
I just bought a 2-way radio that supports both GMRS and FRS:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000093IK8

I actually have no plan to use the GMRS channels at all. My question

is:
If
I only use FRS, do I still need to apply for a license?

When I placed the order, I was told: "GMRS channels require FCC

license.
".
I assume this means FRS channels do not require FCC license, unless

the
Amazon.com description is misleading.

Please help me with this issue so that I can start to use my radio!

Thanks!
Thomas