Old June 26th 03, 06:35 PM
thomas

thank you for your information. I did write 24 hours ago and get no
response so far. Do I need to wait for 6 months or longer to get it if
ever, normally?

you are quite right -- if you have to pay the fee even though i don't use
it, i would rather throw the device into trash cans. after all they are
only $9.99 each, shipped!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000093IK8

thomas

"AMHAM73" wrote in message
Gee guys/gals -- he has so many OPINIONS that by now he is probably

really
confused. As I told him -- -- write the FCC and get an answer in written
form and carry it along with the radio. E-Mail:

It should be obvious the owner doesn't want to spring for the GMRS license
fee -- even though he should.

"Steve Robeson, K4CAP" wrote in message
"thomas" wrote in message

Thank you!

I read the official FCC text carefully. But I'm now even more

confused:

"If you operate a radio that has been approved exclusively under the

rules
that apply to FRS, you are not required to have a license. FRS radios

have a
maximum power of ? watt (500 milliwatt) effective radiated power and
integral (non-detachable) antennas. If you operate a radio under the

rules
that apply to GMRS, you must have a GMRS license. GMRS radios

generally
transmit at higher power levels (1 to 5 watts is typical) and may have
detachable antennas."

The "FRS" channels were interstitial frequencies of the GMRS in
the first place. That's why GMRS can still use them.

Only a radio specifically designed for FRS applications may be
used license free. Any other radio is GMRS and must be licensed.

If my radio has been approved under both FRS and GMRS, the text above
**seems** to suggest that I may need a license. Can you or someone
clarifies for me?

The only reason I don't want to use GMRS is the license fee. The

radio
is
very cheap even with GMRS support.

I agree with Phil...Pop for the GMRS license...One day you'll
need it and it will save your bacon...Or at least save you from an FCC
NAL!

73

Steve, K4CAP