Old January 16th 04, 10:20 PM
Cecil Moore

Gene Fuller wrote:
It is so hard to keep up with you. This entire thread started a few days
ago with a debate between you and Roy. You chastised Roy for considering
the net current instead of the individual components. Now you have
switched back to talking about net currents resulting from the addition
of individual phasor currents.

Which one do you want to talk about?

Nice try, Gene. What got Roy into trouble is forgetting that the net
current consists of two components. One can choose to talk about either
the components or the net as long as one realizes that the net is the
sum of the components. Roy has said, in so many words, that I am stupid
to worry about the components when all I need to worry about is the net.
It's obvious that Kraus worries about the components and, therefore, I
have good reason for such. Great insight is afforded to he who considers
the primary components of the sum instead of ignoring them.

At no time do these phases suddenly reverse direction.

Aha, so you disagree with Kraus and apparently don't understand the
thin wire analysis of standing waves in his book.

If you choose to call the switch from current flow in the positive
direction to the negative direction a 180 degree phase shift, so be it.

A DDS chip can generate a sine wave. Are you telling me that +0.001 volts
out of a DDS chip is not 180 degrees different from a -0.001 volts out of
a DDS chip? At exactly what voltage level does it have to get to to call
it a 180 degree phase shift? If all you see is a step from +0.001 volts
to -0.001 volts, does the information that you don't know dictate whether
is is a 180 degree phase shift or some other phase shift? If so, you are
in deep doo-doo, my friend, and you cannot trust any measurements because
there are always unknowns.

This situation of math models dictating reality (instead of vice-versa) is
worse than I thought. In reality, there is no imaginary current when the
real current is zero. All current in the real-world is real. I suppose that
all current in the imaginary world is imaginary but that's not the world I
live in. If the real current is zero then, for people living in the real world,
the current is zero - there ain't no more. In reality, God doesn't control
everything about the universe according to his whim. HE allows HIS physical
laws to run the universe. If a 180 degree reversal in the direction of flow
of current is not a 180 degree reverse in reality, exactly what is it? If you
have a square wave with one amp as the maximum, and -0.1 amp as the minimum,
is that not a 180 degree phase shift? If you have a square wave with 0.00001
amp as the maximum and 0.00001 amp as the minimum is that not a 180 degree
phase shift? Is the quantum shift from +0.0000...01 volts to -0.0000...01
volts not a shift of 180 degrees?

Gene, I hate to burst your (sacred cow) bubble, but the imaginary part of
the current doesn't actually exist in my universe. If it exists in yours,
I suggest you subscribe to r.r.a.a in that universe, wherever it might be.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp