Old January 20th 20, 08:34 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.policy
Paul W. Schleck Paul W. Schleck is offline

Default [KB6NU] ARRL Board Dumps CEO

(Adding rec.radio.amateur.policy.)

In (KB6NU via rec.radio.amateur.moderated Admin) writes:

KB6NU's Ham Radio Blog

ARRL Board Dumps CEO

[...]

Howard Michel, WB2ITX, who was dumped by the ARRL board at the January 2020
meeting.

[...]

Whether or not board members can comment on this because it is a personnel
matter, ARRL members are really owed a complete explanation. I don't think
that I'm the only one who thinks this looks really bad for the ARRL and the
board. Ill ask the same question I've asked before, What the heck were they
thinking?

Unfortunately, for better or worse, organizations like the ARRL are
representative governance, not pure democracies, and even our membership
dues and voting rights don't change that. We can vote for or against
directors, we can run for director, we can instigate member revolts or
lawsuits, we can even choose to resign from the organization, but we're
not legally (or even ethically) entitled to know every little detail
about how organizations are run. Especially about confidential matters
like personnel decisions in paid employment, where privacy laws and
civil liability for violating them, may apply if a "complete
explanation" is given.

WB2ITX may talk, or he may choose professional restraint and remain
silent. He, or even someone else with standing on the matter, might
even choose to sue the ARRL. But there's no default guarantee or
expectation that we will know all the facts, only that the directors
deliberated and came to a decision that, though we might not agree with
it, was likely lawful and an appropriate exercise of board prerogative.

(73, Paul, K3FU)

- --
Paul W. Schleck

http://www.novia.net/~pschleck/