Old July 2nd 03, 06:36 PM
Mike Coslo

Bill Sohl wrote:
"Mike Coslo" wrote in message

Kim W5TIT wrote:

Dan, I can understand your exasperation with people who choose not to

learn

CW or decide that they don't like it. However, that is as far as the
understanding goes. It seems impossible to me that you can't understand
that people know what they do, or don't, like.

We all have to learn things that we may not like all that much. I had
to sit and learn classes in school that I found boring to distraction.

The issue is that morse has lost the need for exclusive
testing as a separate test element. Your analogy isn't equivalent
to boring school classes because the goal of those classes is and was
within the objectives of providing a complete education. FCC
licensing is not, however, the means to mandate a specific
skill capability for one mode.

But that's a different argument Bill. When this thing got rolling, I
was saying that anyone who does not get a General or above license at
the present time because they don't want to learn Morse does not want
the license badly enough to learn Morse code.

All quite a different argument.

For instance, I happen to absolutely know I would not enjoy jumping out

of

an airplane to parachute. I've never tried it, no. But I don't intend

because "it's just not me."

But if you wanted to parachute out of planes, you would indeed have to
jump out of a plane. I know that sounds redundant or maybe redumbdant,
but it helps prove my point. You aren't that interested in that sort of
hobby, so you don't do it. It is strange that so many people have a
problem with my basic premise: that people who aren't willing to learn
the requirements are not all that interested in the ARS. In this case,
the requirement is the Morse test.

Sorry, you are expanding a lack of interest in morse as
a defining element as to one's overall interest in
amateur radio. That is simply untrue. There are thousands of
hams that have ZERO interest in morse, many have even
passed the tests to advance, yet they are excellent hams.

Bottom line: Knowledge of morse is neither a positive or negative
indication of any individual's interest(s) in ham radio.

It is if a person refuses to learn it, or waits until the requirement
goes away.

So, why is it so difficult for you to understand that people can and do

make

the decision that the CW part of this hobby is something they are not
interested in? Are you saying that there is nothing you would not try

see if you liked it or not? You don't know yourself well enough?

If a person does not want to take the Morse test, that is their right
and privilege. They won't get the HF ticket however.

That is absolutely true...for now.

If they are interested in the ARS, but do not learn Morse because they
don't like it, they are not as interested as someone who does make the
effort.

I can say the same thing about learning or not learning
CPR. Are those that decide not to learn CW less
interested in safety than those that do? The answer is NO,
because there are many ways people can be far more safety
conscience than someone else who may know CPR.

No. If you want to give CPR, you had darn well better learn how, or
else the Red Cross isn't going to stand behind you when you crack those
ribs.

Indeed, just aboutanyone interested enough in learning CPR is going to
take the Red Cross classes, learn how, and be certified.

Those who aren't interested will probably not.

- Mike KB3EIA -