Old July 3rd 03, 02:36 PM
Duane Allen

Leo Szumel wrote:
Hi,

What we'd like to do is use amateur radio for some university research
projects. ...

I've examined Part 97 rules and tried to read as many applicable threads
as possible. My interpretation is that:

(b) AR can be used for educational (non-commercial) purposes

Part (b) is the most shaky becaues it seems to dependon "reasonable use"
and other gray terms. Certainly my proposed use is not "hobby" ...

Section 97.113(c) prohibits transmission of "Communications in which the
station licensee or control operator has a pecuniary interest, including
communications on behalf of an employer."

Are you being employeed by UC to conduct university research projects?

I would think that the University already has or can easily get
non-amateur resources (both hardware and spectrum allocation) that would
support your research projects. The challenging task is finding out who
may have such resources. In addition to checking with the project lead
faculty, you may need to check with the department head and the college
dean. An often overlooked channel for information is contacting the
purchasing persons at the department/college/campus levels. They know
who requisitioned what. From there you can go to the requisitioners and
find out what administrative activities they went through for licensing.

Good luck,

Duane Allen
N6JPO