Old July 5th 03, 01:23 PM
N2EY

In article , Robert Casey
writes:

N2EY wrote:

The restructuring R&O made it clear, IMHO, that the one and only reason FCC
kept Element 1 was the treaty requirement. It would be illogical for FCC to
keep Element 1 now that there's no more treaty requirement. Even though

we're
talking govt. regulations, I can't imagine FCC being that illogical and
reversing itself.

If it's the same people in charge at the FCC, yes.

I don't think that's much of a factor, Robert.

Look at the history of code testing, and amateur license testing in general, in
the USA over the past 28 years. FCC has been slowly nibbling away at it, or
trying to, since at least 1975. Little by little, the requirements have been
reduced and the tests made easier to pass until now the single remaining test
is about as basic as can be made. The only exception is the removal of
multiple-choice code tests.

I doubt very much that FCC will change direction at this point.

73 de Jim, N2EY