Old July 5th 03, 05:47 PM
Mike Coslo

Kim W5TIT wrote:

I did a bunch of trimming here, Kim. I think your Netnews ISP is
getting mad at the length of the posts! 8^)

Then, I would suggest that both of you carry your angst out on the populace
of the entire community that has not even chosen to take a ham radio exam!

Hardly! I'm not preaching condemnation on anyone because of their lack
of interest.

A no-code tech has a limited interest in *becoming a General Class, or
above, licensee* and that is it. For someone to believe that interest level
in ham radio as a whole is guided by how "high" a license class someone is,
is absolutely ludicrous.

I was a no NCT. But my interests extended beyond that. If they didn't,
I would still be a NCT.

I would daresay that, if one could accurately measure somehow, there are no
doubt a higher PERCENTAGE of General-and-above hams who aren't even active
any more. Note that I have said percentage, so it has nothing to do with
numbers. So, how would you geniuses explain that a Extra class ham has so
much "more interest" in ham radio that they've DROPPED OUT of the hobby,
while a Novice or Tech is still in?

It is entirely possible to *lose* interest also. If the ham becomes
inactive, that is the case. It's a dynamic sort of hobby. I would say an
Active Extra has more interest in the hobby than an inactive one.

Good grief.

- Mike KB3EIA -