Old January 17th 04, 04:46 PM
Richard Harrison

"Me" wrote:
"I am interested to know if there is a way to transmit FM radio
frequencies in a directtional path. I need to transmit from 1/8 to 1/4
mile in a very direct narrow pattern."

If these are 3-meter band (100 MHz) signals, a dish to confine these
frequencies directly to a small beamwidth (20-degrees) is impracticably
large (about 30 feet in diameter). Likewise, a Yagi to confine beamwidth
to about 20-degrees is about 20 meters (66 feet) long.

The best way to reach 1/8 to 1/4 mile with a narrow pattern may be with
a wire or cable of either electrical or optical type.

If 100 MHz is the information signal, it can be the modulation on a
carrier frequency in the microwave range which can be directionally
confined with reasonably sized antennas, or the signal can be modulated
by digital or analog methods on an optical laser or led circuit which
confines the beamwidth to a narrow beam.

Best regards, Richard Harrison, KB5WZI