Old July 6th 03, 08:55 PM
Steve Robeson, K4CAP

(Vshah101) wrote in message ...
From: Mike Coslo:

My final original point was that that a person who would not study
Morse code in order to get a General license must have an interest akin
to mine towards piloting a plane. That is to say "Thanks but no thanks."

The skill has to be relevant. You should not use some unrelated skill as some
sort of barrier to getting a higher license class.

Morse Code is not (has not) been irrelevent. It has been a legal
prerequisite for operation on HF allocations.

Morse code does not necessarily show more interest. Its possible that someone
not interested in Morse may have an interest in many more areas therefore
having more interest in amateur radio than some that are mostly interested in
Morse code.

If they are not interested enough to do what's necessary to get a
license, then they are not interested enough. Taking the time to get
past the 5WPM test, even when it's not one's primary interest,
certainly DOES show one's more interested than one who is not.

Putting this artificial barrier may have the effect of blocking out those with
more ability or interest in favor of those with less ability or interest. The
only thing being that some with less ability or interest learned Morse code,
did HF, and not much else. A higher license class should represent more ability
(in the skills tested), not less.

An HF license DOES show more ability. I can do more with my HF
radio than YOU can, Vippy.

Code has nothing to do with the written material. It's a different kind of
skill. And it's a single skill independent of other skills. Just as various
awards are recognized individually, like Worked All States, one can recognize
code skill separately from the written tests.

The written tests are classes of technical ability. By placing code in between,
it implies that someone that learned code automatically and instantly also has
higher technical ability. We know that's not true. For example, degreed EEs
tend to have higher technical ability since they have already studied some of
the material. They would still have to review the rf specific areas, and the
areas on regulations.

The code should not be in the path way in between the written tests. Basic
integrity in Amateur Radio testing requires that.

The Morse Code test is NOT in the way of the written tests. You
may pass all the written tests without having passed the Code test.
My wife passed the written General WITHOUT having passed the Code
test. Has the CSCE to prove it.

Steve, K4YZ