Old July 7th 03, 06:25 AM
Alun Palmer

"Dee D. Flint" wrote in
.com:

"Alun Palmer" wrote in message
"Kim W5TIT" wrote in
:

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message
Kim W5TIT wrote:

Dee, no doubt CW has its benefits. Contrary to a lot of the
"pro-CW" folks, the "anti-CW" folks recognize its capabilities.
(It's silly to even put the groups in such diverse categories.)
However, that does not negate the argument that, even though it
may be quite beneficial, there are those of us who simply choose
not to learn it well enough for practicability (eh?).

You don't have to use it, just learn it. I don't like the stupid
satellite questions on the test, but I had to learn them. (sorry
satellite folks) If we threw out all the parts that some people did
not want to learn, there would soon be no test whatsoever.

I'd be happy to have as many _questions_ on the _written_exams_ about
Morse as about each other mode. A ham should _know_about_ all the
modes. What offends a lot of us is a _practical_ test in only _one_
mode. To take your example, if you had to track a satellite pass and
work someone via satellite to get a licence, and that was the only
practical test, that wouldn't be right either, as it would be an
unbalanced requirement relative to all the other things you can do in
the hobby. If you want to have a practical test, how about soldering?
At least it's not mode- specific.

Actually I agree with having a soldering test. I consider it a basic
skill that all hams should have at least to the extent of soldering a
PL259 connector to coax and demonstrating that they have achieved
continuity and no shorts.

The difference between CW and satellite is that CW is commonly used
(about 50% of hams use CW some to all of the time) and it is cheap to
use. Satellite is uncommon and expensive. In addition, it takes
actually having a basic, minimal skill level at CW to judge whether one
wishes to pursue it to a useful level thus the prospective ham should
be required to learn a basic minimum.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Well, Dee, CW isn't used by me, although I have never actually worked
anyone through a satellite either. I question whether as many as 50%
really use CW to any great extent. It's always the same few people in any
club who come out to work CW at field day, and they have never been close
to 50% in any ham club I've belonged to.