Old July 7th 03, 06:56 PM
Geoffrey S. Mendelson

In article ,
Brian Kelly wrote:

The BC stations in 7.0-7.1 have always seemed to me to be much more of
a problem than they are in 7.2-7.3 but maybe that's just a perception
on my part. Beyond that cleaning out 7.0-7.1 will be a huge
improvement for the CW and digital crowd but the phone guys will still
have work to do at upcoming WRCs to obtain the same improvements.

Remember that the "CW band" concept only exists in the U.S. In the
rest of the world the 40m phone band starts at 7.0mHz. Here in
Israel, all of Europe and Africa, the whole band is only 7.0-7.1 mHz.

Getting the broadcast band out of there 7.0-7.2 will also open that
extra 100kHz to us too. It would be nice to be able to use 40m for
SSB to the U.S., something I can't do now.

Since the novices are just about gone, IMHO the U.S. should drop the
7.1-7.15 mHz CW band. Actually what I would like to see is a worldwide
7.0-7.2 mHz 40m band, with the following "band plan"

7.000-7.050 CW
7.050-7.100 Digital
7.100-7.200 SSB voice, no SSTV, packet, etc.

Geoff (4x1gm, N3OWJ)
--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson 972-54-608-069
Do sysadmins count networked sheep?