Old January 17th 04, 07:47 PM
Volker Kerkhoff

Mikey wrote:
Volker, good luck with the bureaucratic guantlet you're running.

Yep, but others have done it before, since this new law came out in 1987
(and it has not been reviewed since). Actually a rework is due after a
new general telecommunications law came out last year, but I guess
that'll be another 6 months at least. 6 months I can hardly wait, I
actually don't know how I've been able to wait for almost 20 years since
I came of legal age to get a license...

The only commercially-available vertical(s) I'm aware of that would meet
your described needs are the Butternut, and the GAP. Butternut can be used
with either shortened radials, or none at al; you will of course, see
reduced, but acceptable performance. The GAP vertical uses a set of
"counterpoises", of a length shorther than for normal radials. They're both
worth investigation.

Thanks a lot... Local ham shops in a city like Barcelona are really not
up to it, I doubt they have a licensed amateur around, and want to sell
the most expensive stuff... Although the two antennas you mention are
not really cheap...

Another idea would have been to cover up to 40 mts with a G5VR, and then
put up a yagi for 80 mts, to keep the expense in turret and rotor within
certain limits... What about that? I understand that the G5RV loses a
lot of directionality when mounted an an inverted V, so I migh get away
with just one of them?

73,

Volker