Old July 8th 03, 03:03 AM
N2EY

In article , "Dan/W4NTI"
writes:

I would propose that there be at least a year wait before upgrading to
Extra. Ya just can't gain enough operating knowledge in less time.

Yep!

Steve, K4YZ

Used to be back in the sixties. Think it was 2 or 3 years actual on the air
experience as General or higher (class A, Advanced) then you could take the
Extra test.

Until 1952 when the license class was closed to new applicants, one year of
experience was required before you could try for the Class A/Advanced.
"Experience" did not include time as a Novice or Technician. When the Advanced
was reopened to new applicants in 1967, there was no experience requirment.

From its origin in 1951 until the mid 1970s, the Extra required two years'
experience. The requirement was then reduced to one year, then eliminated in
the late 1970s.

Of course there was no requirement to actually use your license during that
time.

I got my Advanced in the summer of 1968, age 14, and counted the days until I
could try for the Extra. On the first day it was legal to try, I was at the FCC
office to take the Extra exam. Passed it on the first go. No big deal, there
were Extras a lot younger back then.

73 de Jim, N2EY