Old July 8th 03, 04:36 AM
Mike Coslo

N2EY wrote:
In article , Mike Coslo writes:

Agreed. I'd like to hear just what sort of technorevolution some people

were expecting.

You shoulda been here a couple years ago when certain folks were telling us
what wonderful technologies we'd have it weren't for the code test. One of the
most vociferous is now Executive Director of NCI. He'd lecture us on how
primitive Morse Code and other modes hams use are, compared to what was
possible.

Figures. I still wait, and probably will continue to wait.......

A year after the 2000 restructuring, he went from Tech Plus to Extra and went
on HF SSB, working DX with a manufactured transceiver. Last I heard he had over
70 countries. Surreal.

Do people who do not have the time to take the morse code test have the
time to invent new modes? Do they have time to invent digital voice
modes that take up bandwidth than ssb?

Ask 'em.

I already know the answer. I doubt they will admit to their laziness
tho! 8^)

some snippage

In fact I recall a certain FD a few years ago. Another rrap regular whom you
may know was working 20 CW, making about 40 QSOs/hr with a terrible antenna. He
was pressured into shutting down so that some folks could use 20 phone. Two
hours later, they had put maybe 4 contacts in the log. They complained that the
band was dead - so he sat down and proceeded to put a couple dozen in the log
on the "dead" band.

Yeah, I know many of the newbies and rusties complain about how the
GOTA station "isn't working" when I know it is. Lots easier to make
QSO's on thos 1KW stations.

It really is about 80 percent OP and 20 percent rig.

Som Extras are going to look mighty foolish.

I recall another FD when somebody came over to the CW tent 3-4 hours into the
contest and wanted to know how I was doing. I said "just OK - only about 150 so
far". Guy cussed me out and called me a liar. So I showed him the log sheets.
bwaahaahaa

All the testing in the world cannot produce a good operator.

Even in my own experience, I know that I had my extra before I should
have. I went from General to Extra in a little over 6 months.

It ain't when ya get the license, it's what ya do with it.

And it was a rapid, and sometimes humbling experience. Then again,
maybe that's okay.

I would propose that there be at least a year wait before upgrading to
Extra. Ya just can't gain enough operating knowledge in less time.

Not gonna happen.

Is there an emoticon for a Bronx cheer? 8^P

- Mike KB3EIA -