Old July 9th 03, 04:57 AM
Larry Roll K3LT

In article , Dwight Stewart
writes:

While everyone would obviously like cheaper broadband internet access, my
principle concern is the possible interference with ham radio out here in
the real world - the real world of corroded and rotted old power lines,
decades old transformers and power stations, and the ancient (often poorly
grounded) electrical wiring in old homes and buildings throughout this
country. Like many others, I suspect this technology is going to have a
dramatic impact on ham radio.

Does anyone know about these touted "advances that address problems of
interference" mentioned above? Are these "advances" really going to prevent
potential interference problems out here in the real world?

Dwight:

I've got news for you: Get ready for it! We hams have dumbed ourselves
down to the point of irrelevance, and money-making consumer technology
like BPL that will bring high-speed Internet access to millions of consumers
will always take precedence over the needs of a few hundred thousand
hams who have virtually zero economic impact. Personally, if inexpensive
high-speed BPL Internet service were available in my area, I'd be all for it!

BTW -- the irony of the BPL situation is that the ham radio mode best able
to overcome the potential interference is good ole fashion CW!!! And that,
my friend, would be no problem for yours truly!

73 de Larry, K3LT