Old July 9th 03, 07:55 PM
N2EY

"Phil Kane" wrote in message t.net...
On Wed, 09 Jul 2003 03:02:43 GMT, Jim Hampton wrote:

Phil, I doubt you're kidding, but a single wire with a ground return? That
is going to have a ton of problems even *without* putting broadband on it.

That amazed me too - but there's only one insulator on the pole pig
and one wire crossing the street to same. Three phase primary is
three wire, so there isn't even a Wye Neutral for return.

I first saw this system along the Trans-Canada highway in Alberta in
1970 and I put it down to the rural-ness of the area. But suburban
Portland in the 21st Century?

Are there NO other wires on the pole?

Here in EPA, most residential areas have three-phase going down the
larger streets (like South Devon Ave. here in Wayne), with
single-phase feeders going to the side streets. The return is partly
through the dirt but mostly through the main messenger that carries
the 120/240 twisted wires.

Earth return will work fine, if the ground is good enough. The few
HVDC lines that have been installed can be operated that way if one
conductor fails.

73 de Jim, N2EY