Old July 10th 03, 04:18 AM
Alun Palmer

Mike Coslo wrote in
:

Alun Palmer wrote:
Mike Coslo wrote in
:

Alun Palmer wrote:

Robert Casey wrote in
:

Phil Kane wrote:

The questions come out of computer at a speed which is dependent
on how fast the applicant is answering them. Scramble the
questions and the multi-choice answers so that if one memorizes
the "little red book" of all the questions and answers it won't
help unless s/he understands and knows the material.

The machine keeps feeding questions until it is a guaranteed
"pass" or a guaranteed "fail" and then it terminates the exam
session. The applicant does not know whether s/he passed or not
until the results are sent by mail. Just like the olden days.....

Back in 1994 I lived in Oregon for a year. The written driver's
test at the DMV was
done with a computer with touch screen. I knew how many questions I
got wrong, but
lost track of how many more I had to complete during the test. Then
it told me that
I passed and my score, around 92%.

Paper tests generated just before the VE session via computer would
be cheaper and
easier than dedicated hardware like that DMV had anyway.

It wouldn't need dedicated hardware - just software

Whatcha gonna run that software on?

- Mike KB3EIA -

Any old PC

Whose PC Alun? One of the test sessions I was at had at least 30
people
in it. Who is going to pay for those PC's? Will a VE have to supply his
or her own PC for other people to use? Maybe have to buy several to
allow everyone to test?

- Mike KB3EIA -

Point taken. Maybe buy some cheap PCs from the Goodwill store and run
Linux on them? Write something in a portable interpreted language like
Tcl/Tk so it will run unchanged on Windows/MacOS/Linux/Unix. Hard to scale
up for large sessions, though, isn't it.