Old July 10th 03, 06:00 AM

N2EY wrote:

: If I missed anybody, please add your guess to the list.

KF6TPT: September 29, 2003

I think the FCC already decided this one, when they lowered the code
test to 5 WPM, it was solely due to the treaty requirement. In effect,
they've already sought, and received, plenty of commentary on the matter.

So once everyone in Washington is back from their vacations, they'll
just axe Element 1, and leave restructuring the written tests to
whomever is in charge after 2004. Michael Powell is rather busy these
days, what with all the brouhaha surrounding ClearChannel and the media
consolidation. If we think that he, or anyone all that high on the food
chain at the FCC gives a rat's patootie about what's going on in
Amateurland, we're fooling ourselves.

As far as I'm concerned, it should have happened years ago. I think the
written tests should be harder, and I think you should re-test when you
renew your license.