Old July 11th 03, 03:19 PM
Dick Carroll

Phil Kane wrote:

On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 19:04:29 -0600, \"Sparky\" wrote:

| I still wonder about that AM tower I once passed in Santa Clara,CA
that was sitting on a salt marsh right at sea level....do they have all
that wire in the ground, er, water, too? Not sure on that one.

There's no AM tower in Santa Clara (or at least none in the last 40
years that I know of), let alone one that meets that description.

OOP! that Should have been Santa Cruz. Ya know, the place with the big boardwalk
and all the thong bikinis.......

There's one in Palo Alto (1220 kHz) and yes, it has the standard
120-radial ground system. The ground there isn't all -that- wet.

This one is right above the water level on a slough of some sort, I didn't get
that good a look but observed it as we drove past. Sure looked like an local AM
tower
of the sort I've worked around.

In "the good old days" the radials were 8 AWG copper, but after
several stations got their ground systems torn out by thieves who
sold the copper on the scrap metal market, almost everybody replaced
them with 8 AWG Copperweld, which has the same rf electrical
properties but has no value on the scrap metal market.

We still had all the copper radials at the (smaller) stations I worked for.
Evidently the locals were adverse to working for it.