Old July 12th 03, 03:32 PM
Carl R. Stevenson

"Dick Carroll" wrote in message

"Carl R. Stevenson" wrote:

OOK Morse is clearly still a viable mode of
communications ... (to use the much-used analogy, so is horseback
riding as a form of transcontinental transportation).

So you equate transcontinental horseback riding to the use of

radiotelegraphy.

Yes ... in the sense that they have both been supplanted by more modern and
efficient means.

And you regard yourself as an engineer (even nondegreed)?

Yup ... so do my peers (you don't fall into that category), including the
dozen
or so PhD's that I was responsible for bringing into my company.

Just for your basic information, radiotelgraphy uses the same radio

propagation
that any other mode uses,

Really? No fooling? :-)

and - when the operater is actually skilled in its use-
often does it better and faster, at lower power than most other common

modes,

ROTFLMAO!!! Better and faster, ha! At lower power, perhaps ... though
as has been pointed out before (though you continue to ignore the reality),
plain
old BFSK, at the same data rates as OOK Morse, has something on the order
of a 9 dB weak signal advantage over OOK Morse.

particularly than weak-signal voice modes which demand slowly pronounced

and
enunciated words and the use of phonetics.

See my previous paragraph above ...

And, as it happens, both travel at the same speed! Eureka!Carl has found

it!

You're delusional again ... take your meds or something.

But you already knew all that, you just like to slam CW.

It's not that I'm "slamming CW" ... as I've said, use it to your heart's
content.
But in the future when folks are not forced to learn it, you'll have to do
your
own "recruiting," rather than relying on a government life support system
for
it ...

You still remember failing that 13wpm test long ago, don't you?

Actually, Dick, I never failed a 13 wpm test because I never TOOK one.
I took my 5 wpm test, then improved my speed working 40 cw, then
during a period when I was moving and the HF station (a Heathkit CW
only rig) was in storage, I got involved in VHF/UHF repeaters, packet
radio (in the early days), etc. and by the time the stuff was out of storage
I'd discovered that there were a lot more interesting things to do in ham
radio than making beeps ...

Carl - wk3c