Old July 13th 03, 04:50 AM
Jim Hampton

Default 1x2 Calls--automatic when upgrading to Extra?

Brian,

You only get assigned a sequential call from the FCC initially. You may
keep your current call sign or allow them to assign you an extra class call
sign sequentially. If you desire a 1X2, then you have to pay the money for
a vanity call sign. You only pay every time you renew (once every 10
years). You can likely switch any time you wish; bear in mind that with the
reduction of requirements there are a *ton* of extra class licenses
nowadays. Years ago, an amateur extra could get a vanity call sign (for
free!). I once did get N2JH, but let my ticket expire. Had I held on to
that, I wouldn't have to pay every 10 years. Now, with a ton of existing
extras and the code requirements about to be dropped, it is going to be
difficult for anyone to get any 1X2 or 2X1 call simply due to the number of
folks who also want to get one. You may well wait for years before you are
lucky enough to apply and actually have the call you applied for available
by the time your request gets to the FCC (others will likely also be
applying).

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA

---