Old July 13th 03, 07:51 AM
Arnie Macy

"JJ" wrote ...

Since the beginning of the use of phone in ham radio, I would be interested
to know of any disaster where ham radio was used for communications and CW
was the only means of communications that could get through. I don't mean CW
was used just because someone wanted to or because they only had CW
capabilities, but because it was the ONLY mode that could get through.

We used it when Floyd hit in 1999. We were having a hard time getting
through on SSB, so switched over to CW and continued ops until the band
conditions improved. CW didn't "save the day", but it sure came in handy
when needed. It is still an integral part of our EMA plan. Remember, in
disaster planning, we try to use *all* of the tools available to us. Maybe
one day, the light will come on for you and you'll understand that concept.

Arnie -
KT4ST