Old July 14th 03, 11:54 PM
Dwight Stewart

"N2EY" wrote:

Some, but not all, nocodetest folks have claimed
that the (perceived) lack of growth of the ARS is
one reason to end code testing. (snip)

The "nocodetest folks" didn't end the code testing requirement - the
members of the ITU did and the FCC perhaps will. Again, I haven't seen
growth of Amateur Radio as a significant reason for their decision.

It is a constant theme. The RSGB has repeatedly
cited lack of growth as a major concern of theirs,
and blamed it on the code test.

The RSGB is neither a governing body in the UK or a member of the ITU.
While they offered an opinion, it was only one opinion in many supporting
the end of code testing. That specific opinion would have no weight if CW
was still a significant communications mode outside Amateur Radio (see
below).

Of course hams DO use Morse code quite a lot. It's
a mystery why what is done in other radio services
should count more than what hams do, when it comes
to figuring out the requirements for an amateur
license.

The Amateur Radio Service was not created in a vacuum. Its stated basis
and purpose extends well outside Amateur Radio. None of those (emergency
service, advancement of the radio arts, advancing skills in skills and
technical phases of art, a reservoir of trained operators, and international
goodwill) are limited to just what happens within the Amateur Radio Service
itself (we seldom provide emergency service for ourselves, for example).

Therefore, what happens outside of Amateur Radio must play a significant
role in what happens within Amateur Radio. CW was justified as a testing
requirement because is was once necessary for a reservoir of trained
operators (for the services we could provide outside Amateur Radio). That is
no longer true, so the test requirement is now being reconsidered.

Dwight Stewart (W5NET)

http://www.qsl.net/w5net/