Old July 16th 03, 01:42 AM
Brian Kelly

"Phil Kane" wrote in message t.net...

Another scenario is that this transceiver includes an FCC type
certified receiver, and even though there may not be any out-of-band
operation, the use of a non-certified receiver when one is required
to be certified is a separate violation. There is a procedure for
one-of-a-kind amateur equipment self-certification, but if it is
a commercial piece of gear that is required to be certified, it must
be a mod approved ny the manufacturer.

Wait a minnit here, I sense a hidden bag of worms. You did a nice job
with explaining the type acceptance and type certification
complexities a short time ago.

You explained that type certifcation of ham xcvrs is based on rcvr
spurious emissions supression requirements. All well and good so far.
Maybe I missed it but I did not pick up on they fact that hams can't
mod their rcvrs unless the mod designs are factory approved. This is
news to me and raises a flag.

We all know that rcvr mods are and have been routine ever since Hector
was a pup. There are innumerable websites stuffed with how-to-do-it
instructions for making all sorts of rcvr mods and there are mod kits
for sale for just about every ham HF xcvr out there today. I seriously
doubt that Yeasu for instance puts any assets into "approving" Joe
Slobotnik's latest circuit mod for boosting the performace of say
FT-1000MPs in some way. Nor have I ever seen any warnings in the
websites which refer to the consequences of ham-developed mods beyond
the usual possiblity of voiding manufacturer's warranties if one
futzes with the innards with a soldering iron.

Are you saying that if I install any of these types of mods in my
Yaesu xcvr I'm in violation?? If yes then we have one *helluva* lotta
violators roaming the bands, thousands of us.

w3rv