Old July 17th 03, 12:57 AM
Carl R. Stevenson

"N2EY" wrote in message
om...
These are the number of unexpired FCC ARS
licenses held by individuals on the dates listed:

As of May 14, 2000:

Novice - 49,329
Tech - 205,394
Tech Plus - 128,860
General - 112,677
Advanced - 99,782
Extra - 78,750
Total - 674,792

As of July 15, 2003:

Novice - 33,662 (decrease of 15,667)

decrease due to upgrades,plus attrition

Technician - 257,319 (increase of 51,925)

new licensees, plus tech+ renewed as tech

Technician Plus - 67,055 (decrease of 61,805)

decrease due to upgrades, plus tech+ renewed as tech, plus (perhaps slight
attrition)

General - 141,181 (increase of 28,605)

upgrades, plus new licensees who made it on the first pass

Advanced - 83,239 (decrease of 16,590)

upgrades, plus slight attrition

Extra - 104,301 (increase of 25,551)

upgrades, plus new licensees who made it on the first pass

Total - 686,861 (increase of 12,069)

About 4k total growth per year ...

Still slower growth than desirable by a long shot ... eliminating Morse
testing will help, but more needs to be done to promote ham radio
to those 40-50 years old if we want long-term survival ... I'll be
53 in October and I'm in the youngest quartile as far as I can estimate.

Carl - wk3c