Old July 17th 03, 02:31 AM

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 18:53:15 UTC, Leigh
wrote:

"citizensband" wrote in
:

All the garbage about how you should even be allowed to operate a CB,
unless you are able to build your own equipment. Real Hams will never
be able to build a rig that even comes close to what's available off
the shelf these days.

What? I've never heard that. Folks should know how their radios
work, that's why the FCC exam includes "theory". There's never been
a requirement to bring in a Home Brew transceiver as part of the
exam.

.....and a true example of home-built radio was heard on 80m CW a week or
so ago - a Russian with homemade equipment that rasped CW more than broke
the carrier and was a wide signal.

Sort of knocks the 'build your own' case for Gareth into a cocked hat - not
easy to work or even work out who or where he was.

Leigh.....

I've been licensed for 35 years and I've only met one person who
built an SSB transceiver from scratch. I know lots of folk who
have the expertise to repair them and many have built kits.

de ah6gi/4