Old July 17th 03, 04:51 AM
Larry Roll K3LT

In article , "Carl R. Stevenson"
writes:

Carl:

Why do you think taking a code test prevents these things from happening?

73 de Larry, K3LT

Personal experience with colleagues and other anecdotal evidence.

Well, Carl, I know from "personal experience with colleagues and other
anecdotal evidence" that the code test imparts useful communications
skills and tends to encourage the pursuit of greater technical knowledge.
So -- which one of us is wrong, here?

The way that you, Dick, and *some* others look down your noses
at folks who aren't interested in code and object to unnecessary
"hurdles" sure doesn't help to bring new folks into ham radio either.

The only ones I'm "looking down my nose" at are the typical whiners
and complainers -- the ones making the specious comparisons between
code testing/proficiency and technical nescience. Any newcomers to
amateur radio who are open-minded about code proficiency, and are
willing to give it at least as much effort as would have been exerted
under the former licensing requirements would have nothing but my
approval and encouragement. And those who want to do everything
*but* the code are still OK with me, as long as they stay as far away
from that topic as possible -- because they're not qualified to discuss
it or have an opinion. Should they tread on that topic, they will find
themselves confronted with someone with vast first-hand experience,
and the ability to articulately defend his viewpoints with passion and
conviction. It is in such a debate that the no-coders usually break down
into emotionalism, name-calling, and playing the "victim card." If
I were them, I'd just stay as far away from the subject as possible, and
I will not pursue them.

73 de Larry, K3LT