Old July 17th 03, 04:16 AM
Ryan, KC8PMX

"Dee D. Flint" wrote in message
y.com...

"Ryan, KC8PMX" wrote in message

"Larry Roll K3LT" wrote in message

Now that it seems as though code testing will finally be abolished in

the
ARS, let's amuse ourselves with a bit of speculation as to what this

will
mean in terms of future growth in the numbers of licensed amateur

radio
operators in the United States. What do you think will happen? How
much growth do you think will occur, and how fast?

We may have an initial inrush of some newbies in the onset, but it will
flatten back out to where it is about right now is my prediction. Its

from
a "marketing" standpoint. The hobby just is not promoted like it should

or
could be. Once us existing licensee's hit up our friends and family,

that
is usually it. (kinda sounds a bit like Amway!)

Actually the biggest problem is lack of activity by the current hams. If

we
take the figure of 600,000+ hams and calculate the number of QSOs per day

if
each one had one QSO per YEAR (assume it takes two hams for a qso), thats
300,000 exchanges per year or nearly 1000 per day. That would keep the
bands pretty busy. But instead we hear the same people over and over on

the
VHF and HF frequencies. We have 150 members or so in our club and I only
hear about a dozen on the repeater regularly. It's the same dozen that do
VHF simplex and SSB. We need to get those already licensed more involved.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

That is true Dee, if even half of the licensees out there operated a little
more often, the bands would be busier. HF seems to be holding it's own for
the most part as far as usage. 2 meter and somewhat in the 70cm bands usage
is fair but could be better. 6 meters is considered a "throw-away" band, as
people seem to think it is only good during a band opening. I personally
have had some excellent local, or better put "within state" contacts when
the band otherwise appeared dead.
220Mhz, 902Mhz, and 1.2Ghz bands are desolate, at least around here. I
wouldn't be surprised if we lost the 220 and 902 bands.

--
Ryan, KC8PMX
FF1-FF2-MFR-(pending NREMT-B!)