Old July 17th 03, 04:45 AM
Ryan, KC8PMX

"Radio Amateur KC2HMZ" wrote in message
On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 00:08:16 -0400, "Ryan, KC8PMX"
wrote:

2. Most public safety professionals (by which I mean law enforcement,
fire supression, EMS, and SAR personnel) know precisely this about the
radios they use on the job: Either it works or it doesn't. Either the
city cops can talk directly to the county sheriffs or they can't.
Change to a different radio? Sure...just get a new radio...see item
number (1) above for the problem with that.

Hmmm.... but if there ever was any career paths that the possibility of
needing to communicate in a non-voice manner those professions just may
be..... If a firefighter gets trapped in a building or cop has some type

of
situation where he may not be able to speak or something, he may be able

tap code out on the speaker.

Perhaps, but it wouldn't be all that likely that anyone hearing it
would recognize it as an attempt to communicate, let alone copy the
message...chances are the fire dispatcher isn't required to learn
Morse in order to qualify for the job.

Perhaps, but I would think the dispatchers would have to know it as well.
Based on the tone of the response I take it as you feel that morse does not
have as much value as stated by others here in the past. If morse is so
important, than radio "services" should have to know it as well, otherwise
the arguments "for code" fall apart in my opinion.
"Radio service" personell are required to learn other skills, in order to
perform their positions, and hams are required to learn other skills along
with morse code.

--
Ryan, KC8PMX
FF1-FF2-MFR-(pending NREMT-B!)