Old July 18th 03, 03:23 AM
Carl R. Stevenson

"Dee D. Flint" wrote in message
y.com...

"Carl R. Stevenson" wrote in message

"Some time and effort" can vary widely across the spectrum of
individuals ... for some it can be easy, for others it's nearly

impossible.
Just as some folks can't "carry a tune in a bucket" with respect to
singing ability, Morse involves a "mode-specific aptitude" that folks
possess (or don't) in widely varying degrees.

Please read "The Art and Skill of Radiotelegraphy". The problem that

people
generally have in learning the code are incorrect study methods and
unrealistic expectations. Yet when proper training methods are employed,
achieving 20wpm is within the reach of almost everyone whether or not they
have any talent for it. Now setting world records does require talent but
you don't have to have talent to be OK at something.

I *was* "OK" at Morse ... but I have NO interest in using that mode and
will likely never do so again in my life. I would have been a much more
valuable asset to the amateur community if I'd had access to HF those
years I didn't simply because of Morse ...

The point is that amateur radio is, per the FCC's own pronouncments
(and they are the ones that set the rules of the game), primarily a
technically-oriented service ... they see no need for making people
practice an ear-hand coordination drill (which has nothing technical
about it) to acquire proficency that isn't necessary and many, if not
most, won't use.

I just cannot grasp how otherwise (presumably at least reasonably)
intelligent people can cling to insistence on the acquisition of such
a mechanical skill in such a quasi-religious fashion. It's about
as ridiculous as asserting that all hams should be tested for their
ability to hop on one foot, while patting themselves on the head
with their left hands and talking on an HT with their right hands
at the same time without losing their balance. Some folks could
do it easily, some with more difficulty, and some would probably
fall over. Insisting on Morse skill for to obtain what are for the
most part TOTALLY UNRELATED privileges is absurd ... there
is no other way to describe it.

Carl - wk3c