Old July 18th 03, 06:40 AM
Dick Carroll

Dave Heil wrote:

"Carl R. Stevenson" wrote:

I would have been a much more
valuable asset to the amateur community if I'd had access to HF those
years I didn't simply because of Morse ...

I share your pain, Carl. I've often thought of my wasted years, not
being in the House of Representatives.

I just cannot grasp how otherwise (presumably at least reasonably)
intelligent people can cling to insistence on the acquisition of such
a mechanical skill in such a quasi-religious fashion.

I understand your inability to grasp the situation...in a
quasi-sarcastic way.

It's about
as ridiculous as asserting that all hams should be tested for their
ability to hop on one foot, while patting themselves on the head
with their left hands and talking on an HT with their right hands
at the same time without losing their balance. Some folks could
do it easily, some with more difficulty, and some would probably
fall over. Insisting on Morse skill for to obtain what are for the
most part TOTALLY UNRELATED privileges is absurd ... there
is no other way to describe it.

Which mode is it that involves that hopping, patting and HT's?

Sounds to me like he's spreading a bit of spectrum