Old July 18th 03, 02:16 PM
Carl R. Stevenson

"Larry Roll K3LT" wrote in message
In article , "Carl R. Stevenson"
writes:

As to how "important" Morse is ... YMMV ... to some it is
the "be all and end all" of ham radio ... to others it is of no
importance whatsoever ... from the FCC's decisions, it's
clear that, while there was a time when Morse was important,
that time ended long ago and the FCC no longer views Morse
as important in terms of licensing requirements.

Carl:

The above statement can be objectively evaluated only in the
context of future ARRL initiatives and FCC actions regarding
amateur HF sub-band mode authorizations. Once code testing
is finally abolished in the US amateur licensing process, it will
be much easier to re-allocate more spectrum to phone modes, to
the detriment of CW -- and I rather suspect that's precisely what
will happen.

I will be there beside you (figuratively), opposing expansion of the
phone bands ... with ONE *possible* exception. With the realignment
of 40m and broadcasting, we will have 7000-7200 exclusive in all
3 regions. It would seem equitable, given the structure of the other
bands, where the CW/data segments and the phone segments are
pretty equal, to shift the phone band lower limit from 7150 (Extra)
down to 7100 ...since the upper 100 kHz from 7200-7300 will
still be trashed by SW broadcast. This is the ONLY *possible*
situation that I can envision where I would consider supporting an
expansion of HF phone bands.

This is my *personal* comment and NOT "NCI policy" ...

Carl - wk3c