Old July 18th 03, 08:26 PM
Mike Coslo

Carl R. Stevenson wrote:
"Mike Coslo" wrote in message

Carl R. Stevenson wrote:

I just cannot grasp how otherwise (presumably at least reasonably)
intelligent people can cling to insistence on the acquisition of such
a mechanical skill in such a quasi-religious fashion.

Maybe we're just not that smart, Carl. And you're arguing with us! Face
it, you're enjoying all this, and having a good time rubbing our nose in

it.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Mike,

Its really NOT my intention to "rub noses in it" ... honest ... if it comes
across that way, I apologize.

You do.

What I *am* trying to do is counter the illogical with some logic and
the political/regulatory/technical realities.

You are doomed to failure, because trying to apply logic to this is not
possible.

I look at this and I see lazy people trying to avoid an entry test that
I can't find any good reason to get rid of.

Why? I can't stand lazy people!

Is that logical? Depends on how you look at it, but probably not
logical at all. After all, is it not logical to increase ones worth
(education, toys, wealth, honors, etc.) with a minimum amount of effort?

This of course can be carried to an absurd level if we wish, but let's
not go there for the purposes of this discussion.

Now that does not mean that the other end of the argument is blessed
with logic either. Removal of a perfectly good requirement so that those
who do not wish to take it don't have to, is not logical either. Morse
code harms no one, and is arguably quite useful. The extra effort it
takes to learn it is of no consequence for anyone but an unfortunate few
who have difficulties picking it up

So what do we have? We have some people who don't like Morse code, and
we have some people who do.

No logic applies here. You will fail trying to force fit logic into
this situation. All of the PCTA people here are intelligent individuals
who just happen to enjoy Morse Code. The NCTA's are also intelligent
individuals, most of whom hate Morse code.

But they don't use logic in making that assessment, no matter how hard
they try to convince themselves that they are. We can make as many
logical statements as we like, but if the initial premise is not
logical, then it doesn't matter.

And as for political/regulatory/technical realities, we know them.
Nobody thinks that the test will be retained. They are going away.
Nothing more real than that. You win. Your illogic beat our illogic.

- Mike KB3EIA -