Old July 18th 03, 11:05 PM
Carl R. Stevenson

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message
Carl R. Stevenson wrote:
What I *am* trying to do is counter the illogical with some logic and
the political/regulatory/technical realities.

You are doomed to failure, because trying to apply logic to this is not
possible.

I look at this and I see lazy people trying to avoid an entry test that
I can't find any good reason to get rid of.

Why? I can't stand lazy people!

I don't like *genuinely* lazy people either ... it galls me that some
of my hard-earned salary goes to welfare programs that support
the congenitally lazy. (I have NO problem with aid to those who
are genuinely, through no fault of their own, having hard times,
but for a limited period of time, not as a "career.")

But the characterization of all (even most) of the folks who aren't
interested in "jumping through the Morse hoop" is inaccurate and
unfair.

No logic applies here. You will fail trying to force fit logic into
this situation. All of the PCTA people here are intelligent individuals
who just happen to enjoy Morse Code.

For the most part, yes, but how do you explain Bruce?

The NCTA's are also intelligent individuals, most of whom hate
Morse code.

It's not really that I "hate Morse" ...what I *hate* is the fact that
(because)
I ... and others ... have NO interest in EVER using it again, let alone in
becoming proficient at 20 wpm or more, folks tell me ... and others ...
that I am/we are an inferior ham(s) and will NEVER amount to anything
because of that simple reality (ignoring any and all other skills,
knowledge,
or attributes I ... or others ... may have that *could* make me ... or
others ... valuable contributors to the amateur community. THAT's what
I hate and what really gripes my ass.

But they don't use logic in making that assessment, no matter how hard
they try to convince themselves that they are. We can make as many
logical statements as we like, but if the initial premise is not
logical, then it doesn't matter.

I don't understand how you can assert that it is not logical for
someone to resist an unnecessary, unjusitifiable requirement
that is imposed on them to gain privileges that have nothing to
do with the requirement. And to resist/resent being treated
as a lesser ham/person for it ...

I do, however, understand that it is NOT logical for folks to
presume that they can insist on forcing such a requirement on
the folks refered to in the previous paragraph and not expect
them to complain and resist.

At least for US hams, this is America ... where everyone is
supposed to be free to do as they please as long as they don't
harm others or infringe upon their rights in some way ... the fact
that *I* don't want to do Morse doesn't infringe on your right
to *do* Morse ...

And as for political/regulatory/technical realities, we know them.
Nobody thinks that the test will be retained. They are going away.
Nothing more real than that. You win. Your illogic beat our illogic.

No, our logic beat your illogic ... no gloating ... we worked hard for
it ... our arguments won out in the LOGICAL, well-considered
evaluations of the governments of the world.

Carl - wk3c