Old July 19th 03, 04:38 AM
Brian Kelly

"Carl R. Stevenson" wrote in message ...
"Brian Kelly" wrote in message
om...

Jim ... I realize that your question above was *probably* (at least
partly) tongue in cheek, but it does sort of smack of American
arrogance ... and to some of the other countries in region 2, perhaps
something approaching "Yankee imperialism."

Wrong. The fact that the FCC does not allow us to run phone as far
down the bands as the DX does shelters the DX from the U.S. hordes.
That's about as "anti Yankee Imperialism" as it gets in ham radio.

Brian,

How many heads of Latin American radio regulatory agencies do you
know personally? (If the answer is "None." how can you presume to
know their likely reaction to the US trying to tell them how to do things
in their own country?)

I don't think I need to know them to come to the obvious answer.

Again, I *presume* that Jim's question was tongue in cheek.
I do know those folks and meet with them several times a year ...
they wouldn't take kindy to being ordered around in the
way that Jim jokes about above ...

I guess. Something maybe. Maybe not.

Moving along here my personal bottom line without knowing a soul below
the border except those I've met on the air: I strongly (VERY
strongly) support retention of the existing xx.150 lower phone band
limits particularly on 20 & 40 primarily because (1) I for one am sick
of the Gringo/Ugly American crappola we've managed to take to the
level of a fine art, the buck needs to stop here at least in ham radio
(2) Downward expansion of the U.S. phone bands would immediately shove
the DX phone ops farther down the band (which they can do with a flick
of the wrist) to get away from U.S. QRM and into the space
traditionally used for CW and digital operations globally. Net gain
for the U.S. phonies comes up zip as far as being able to force
(OhYeah, that's the real agenda) the DX to hear them and the CW and
digital types get screwed (also globally) with orders of magnitudes
more DX SSB QRM than we have now.

Carl - wk3c

w3rv

#!^%#!(*)fuggemall^^3