Old January 19th 04, 11:45 PM
Thierry

"JGBOYLES" wrote in message
The SWR meter indicates the value from the meter to whatever is after it.
If you insert a device that has a high SWR (because it becomes defective

or
for some other reason ) between the transmitter and SWR meter ( say a

switch
or filter), the meter can show a low value if the antenna is ok, but the

transmitter will see a high SWR and may burn out the finals.

He did not say he inserted anything, just that moisture at the end of his
transmission line caused a fault. If this was the case, an SWR bridge at

the

The install was : RTX +50 cm RG58 + AMP + 1m Aircom (like RG213) + SWR +15m
Aircom + G5RV

the built-in SWR of my RTX TS-570D read SWR 1:1. If my external SWR
displayed an SWR 4 that means that it read the info AFTER it, what looks
in contradiction with what ARRL website states in his technical columns...
Who's right ?

Thierry
ON4SKY
http://www.astrosurf.com/lombry/

output of his Power Amps should have alerted him to a problem that would
potentially destroyed them.
If you want to use an SWR bridge as a protective device, or indicator,

it
must be placed in the proper position in the antenna system. Modern
transceivers have circuits that detect mismatches and reduce power to

minimize
failed output devices.

73 Gary N4AST