Old July 20th 03, 12:30 AM
Dwight Stewart

"Ryan, KC8PMX" wrote:

Now let's look at that phrase "pool of trained
radio operators" Dee. The vagueness of that
can create some issues, such as what type of
training???

Being able to handle message traffic, would be
an extremely important detail in training IMHO.
How many people can formulate a formal
message gram?? Even though I am one of those
low-life code free techs, I still can.

Since our purpose is clear, I don't see that vagueness. For example, one
primary purpose is to provide emergency communications. Skills are obviously
needed to do that. However, the served agency establishes which skills, not
the FCC (one reason the FCC does not require specific training in emergency
communications). For example, if a person volunteers to work with the Red
Cross, the person needs to know or learn the skills that agency is seeking.
If that agency does not handle message traffic or formulate message-grams,
those skills are entirely worthless. Therefore, it would be a waste to train
all operator in those skills (again, one reason the FCC does not require
such training).

If you look at each purpose in the same manner, very little vagueness
really exists.

Dwight Stewart (W5NET)

http://www.qsl.net/w5net/