Old July 20th 03, 03:23 AM
Mike Coslo

N2EY wrote:
In article , "Carl R. Stevenson"
writes:

"N2EY" wrote in message
.com...

Alun Palmer wrote in message

Bringing the phone subbands in line with other countries in Region 2

would

be sufficient

Seeing as how the USA has more hams than any other country in Region
2, why not have those other countries get their phone subbands in line
with the USA?

Because they are soverign nations with the right to regulate the use of
the radio spectrum within their jurisdictions as they see fit and according
to their needs, as long as they are not in violation of the ITU Radio
Regulations.

That's not a reason, just a fact.

Because most of the rest of the world does it the same way they do
and the US is virtually alone in its sub-band by mode regulations.

We were talking about Region 2.

Jim ... I realize that your question above was *probably* (at least
partly) tongue in cheek, but it does sort of smack of American
arrogance ... and to some of the other countries in region 2, perhaps
something approaching "Yankee imperialism."

What about anti-American arrogance?

I think you completely misread what I was saying. Wasn't tongue in cheek at
all, just an opposing idea. Nowhere do I suggest that any sort of coercion be
applied to other countries - why do you read that into my words?

As I recall, the person suggesting that we align ourselves to the rest
of the world's standards was from another country. When Jim retorted,
he was accused of American arrogance. Ohhhhkkkkay, then what was the
first suggestion? Logic? Something that wasn't arrogance, suggested by
someone else, but arrogance if an American suggests it?

Simply Wrong, Carl!

The fact of the matter is that the reason we have limited 'phone bands here in
the USA is twofold: One, to give the DX a place to operate 'phone without
having to deal with Yankee pileups every time they try to operate when the band
is open, and two, to give US hams an incentive to use modes other than 'phone.
Both are good ideas.

Very good ideas, and if the rest of the world would want to adopt
something like this, it could be cool (not even a suggestion, just a
"hey folks, look what we do")

- Mike KB3EIA -