Old July 20th 03, 05:39 AM
Larry Roll K3LT

In article , Mike Coslo
writes:

Reading a report on how long it will likely take for the U.S. to ratify
and drop Morse requirements, we are given an estimate of two years.

Mike:

I wonder if the NCTA's will figure out a way to get the FCC to fast-track
this process?

This leads me to wonder, is it better to wait for those two years to go

by before getting ones HF ticket, or is it better to just learn Morse
and get the ticket much sooner?

I learned the hard way. I waited 14 years, and lost out on what could have
been the best years of my ham radio career! Now I'm 50 years old, and
won't even qualify for QCWA membership for another three years!

Is a person willing to wait those two years more imterested in the ARS,
or is the person who, even if they are not personally interested in
Morse Code, yet studies for and passes the test and gets on the air now
more interested?

Anyone who waits the (up to) two years a US No-code General/Extra
may take would appear to be interested only in being lazy. A classic
filter feeder.

I personally think this is no contest. The person who is willing to get

their license sooner shows a greater interest than a person who says "As
long as there is requirement X, I am more interested in NOT being in the
ARS than I am in being IN the ARS."

I'll provide them some incentive: As of now, 20 July 2003 at 0321 hrs UTC,
any prospective US ham who learns the code at the gruelling speed of 5
WPM, passes the test, and gets their Extra will be considered by me to
be a full-fledged ham as long as they regularly use at least one non-voice
mode on-the-air at least 40 percent of their total operating time. Wow --
is that a deal or what?

73 de Larry, K3LT