Old July 20th 03, 11:26 AM
Steve Robeson, K4CAP

Mike Coslo wrote in message ...

Reading a report on how long it will likely take for the U.S. to ratify
and drop Morse requirements, we are given an estimate of two years.

I am willing to bet that some sort of "moratorium" on code
testing is announced within the next 60 days. Just an
opinion...nothing certain

This leads me to wonder, is it better to wait for those two years to go
by before getting ones HF ticket, or is it better to just learn Morse
and get the ticket much sooner?

Knowing what I know about how much fun I've had with Amateur
Radio all these years, I'd say do it, get it over with and join the
fun! I liken this to a cure for cancer...Would you delay radiation
therapy in the hopes that "the" cure would be forthcoming
"tomorrow"...?!?!

Is a person willing to wait those two years more imterested in the ARS,
or is the person who, even if they are not personally interested in
Morse Code, yet studies for and passes the test and gets on the air now
more interested?

The only way to answer that is to have experienced it...No one
can speak for you. All I can say is that it's been a blast, no
matter WHAT mode I was operating!

I personally think this is no contest. The person who is willing to get
their license sooner shows a greater interest than a person who says "As
long as there is requirement X, I am more interested in NOT being in the
ARS than I am in being IN the ARS."

I think you are doing yourself a diservice by that line of
thinking, Mike. Only you can answer that question for yourself, and
anything anyone else can offer (myself included) is nothing more than
opinion or conjecture.

73

Steve, K4YZ