Old July 21st 03, 02:26 AM
Dee D. Flint

"Scott Unit 69" wrote in message
Just smile and laugh at Mike, Larry & Dee. These old timers are
set in their ways, and cannot change.

I just have to laugh at their virulent dislike of no-codes.

Sometimes, you just have to poke them the right way to stir them up. :

Shows how little you know. If you're smart enough to dig out the info, you
will find that I am a long way from being able to qualify as an old timer.
I've learned through personal practice and experience as to what works when
and under what conditions. It is based on experience that I believe all
hams should learn the basics of code. I've used many of the digital modes
to be sure I understood their advantages and disadvantages, although these
modes are not interesting to me. It is on my personal development plan to
do the same with PSK31, the current "flavor of the month."

I have never, ever disliked no-codes. We have some many fine ones in our
club. Those who are interested in HF are studying to upgrade. Those who
are not interested in HF are fine too. Our satellite experts happen to be
no-codes. If I want to know anything about satellites (if ever I choose to
invest in the equipment), I will consult them on their experiences and
follow their recommendations. That they are no-codes and I'm an Extra (from
before restructuring) is unimportant and irrelevant. In that particular
area they are the experts with hands on experience while my knowledge in
this area is limited to book learning. I have no problem whatsoever
acknowledging that expertise. The only no-codes that I find objectionable
are those who want the privileges of a higher class without meeting the
requirements. Waiting for requirements to change is simply wasting one's
time even though they are now likely to change.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE