Old July 21st 03, 11:14 PM
Dee D. Flint

"Geoffrey S. Mendelson" wrote in message
In article ilgate.org,
K0HB wrote:

Except in the USA, most amateurs do not labor under "sub-bands" based on
mode. As an example Canadian amateur have no such restrictions. It's a
source of continuing wonder to me that the FCC continues to arbitrarily
slice and dice the bands based on mode, license class, power levels, and
similar artificial constructs of their imagination.

Not only that but the stupid allocation of the 7.00-7.100 as a CW
only band makes 40 meters almost unusable outside of the U.S. That's
our entire 40 meter band, and so we can't work the states without spilt
operation, which doesn't often work because we are swamped with European
brodcasters.

We can't work locally, because by convention, we use ssb in the upper
half and get destroyed by all those digital signals that come from the
U.S. and clobber us.

IMHO the best thing to do is open 7.050-7.100 for ssb in the U.S. and move
the digital stuff to the old novice band.

Geoff.

The recent WRC conference has directed broadcasters to move out of the 7.00
to 7.200 segment by 2009 and that will become a ham only band worldwide.

Opening up 7.050 to 7.100 for ssb in the US won't solve your problems. You
will still get clobbered by the US digital signals as they won't move. It's
too well established in the band plans for people to change.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE