Old July 21st 03, 11:32 PM
Len Over 21

In article , "Ryan, KC8PMX"
writes:

There is a little bit over 50Mhz of frequencies they could do alot with
there, and I almost would accept the loss of those bands if and only if we
had a guarantee that the rest of our bands will never be altered again.
What the hell, we sure aren't doing much with those bands as a hobby as a
whole.

The US government is more aware about VHF and higher frequency use
than you think. The NTIA periodically conducts wideband recording of
ALL RF emitters from VHF and up in many urban centers. You can see
such reports with full information on equipment, maps of coverage, etc.
at the NTIA website.

So-called line-of-sight bands aren't going to sound the same as HF ham
bands due to different propagation effects. For example, you could not be
expected to hear anything of the Condor Net in Michigan despite the
Condor Net operating over three western states (CA-NV-AZ). The Condor
Net began in 1978 and is still running with 14 stations in three states, all
done under private ownership with free access to any licensed amateur
with 220 equipment having PL/CTCSS tone capability. A quarter century
of service, all done voluntarily, says to me that there sure as hell is
something going on in the bands above 30 MHz.

LHA