Old July 22nd 03, 04:36 AM
Dwight Stewart

"Len Over 21" wrote:

I've never heard the term "OPSEC" in the 1950s
while on active duty or any time as a civilian
from the 1960s on through the end of the 1980s
while visiting different military branch
installations. (snip)

I guess it depends on the MOS or where you were working. Where I worked,
we had mandatory "OPSEC" classes (in Germany in the early 70's), covering
need-to-know procedures, document and material control, and so on. We had to
attend these classes every six months or so to keep our security clearance
valid.

(snip) COMSEC or COMmunications SECurity is the
current buzzword (of the last decade or so) and
refers to any means of encryption in military
communications.

You were in military communications, right? If so, surely you were around
a COM-SHACK or COM-CENTER. By the mid-60's, I think every radio room in the
military (certainly in the Army) was called "COM" something. Out of that
came many acronyms with "COM" in it, including COMSEC. When I went through
training in 1970, I had a binder with "COMSEC" stamped on it (contained
basic security procedures).

Dwight Stewart (W5NET)

http://www.qsl.net/w5net/