Old July 22nd 03, 04:48 AM
Radio Amateur KC2HMZ

On 20 Jul 2003 02:22:23 GMT, (N2EY) wrote:

In article , Mike Coslo
writes:

Reading a report on how long it will likely take for the U.S. to ratify
and drop Morse requirements, we are given an estimate of two years.

Mike,

TWO YEARS?! Who estimates that?

Second time this question's been asked in this NG. Read the following
excerpt from Amateur Radio Newsline Report 1353, July 18, 2003:

How long will it take? Amateur Radio Newsline’s David Black, KB4KCH, has
that part of the story from our South East bureau in Birmingham Alabama.

--

Nobody can be quite certain when or even if the Morse requirement will
disappear in the United States, but here’s the way it has to play out thanks

Since the agreements reached at WRC ‘03 are essentially an international
treaty, the document has to be ratified by the United States Senate. Depending
on their workload, that could happen before years end or it could be put off
into the 2004 session or even beyond.

Senate approval has to take place can the FCC begin the process under the
Administrative Proceedures Act and issue a Notice of Inquiry. A Notice of
Inquirey or N-O-I is the first step in the rule making process to make any
change and gives the general public a chance to voice its opinion. And by
public we mean every American. Not just ham radio operators.

If there is enough interest shown in going ahead then a Notice of Proposed Rule
making will be issued that again invites public comment. This will be followed
by another time period for reply comments by those who might have arguments to
counter what some initial commenters have to say. Then matter goes to the
staff to prepare a Report and Order or Memorandum, Order and Opinion that is
circulated to the five Commissioners who run the agency. If they approve, then
the change become law on a date specified in the document.

So once again the rhetoric question of how long? Here’s our guess. About
two years minimum from the time the Senate ratifies the accords, but only if
the FCC decides to proceed immediately there after.

Why two years? Well as Fred Maia W5YI of the NCVEC pointed out to us, since
Novice Enhancement some two decades ago, just about every major change in the
structure of ham radio has taken about two years. Fred is a pretty good
Washington watcher and his guess is 2005 at the earliest. But for now, we will
all have to just wait and see.

For the Amateur Radio Newsline,. I’m David Black, KB4KCH, reporting.